[dns-operations] Effectivity of filter lists against DNS amplification attacks

Daniel Stirnimann daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch
Fri Aug 17 10:22:30 UTC 2012

Hi Klaus

On one of our name server which is secondary for a little over one
thousand second level domains has been abused for DNS Amplification
Attacks since November 2011.

There has not been a single week without such traffic. So, it is not
decreasing at all. Since May 2012 we are rate-limiting outgoing ANY
queries but this has not resulted in a decrease of such traffic.

The most common DNS Amplification Attack traffic we are seeing is what
is described in this ISC Diary post:
https://isc.sans.edu/diary/DNS+ANY+Request+Cannon+-+Need+More+Packets/13261

Regards,
Daniel