[dns-operations] DNS benchmark platform @ OARC

Geoffrey Sisson geoff at dns-oarc.net
Fri Apr 13 18:08:41 UTC 2012

Ond??ej Sur?? <ondrej.sury at nic.cz> wrote:

> So we were thinking that DNS-OARC would be ideal platform to prepare
> methodology for measuring DNS servers performace and it could also do
> the tests as an "independent" laboratory.

I did something like this a few years ago at OARC, using OARC's testbed:

    http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-17sep09-en.htm

These tests were very specific (testing characteristics of BIND and
NSD serving root zones of varying characteristics).  I think these
tests could serve as the basis for a general-purpose set of benchmarks
for authoritative name servers -- particularly the tests in Chapter 3.
We would definitely want to add tests like performance during
AXFR/IXFR and dynamic updates, etc., that were not covered in this work.

Geoff