[dns-operations] DNS benchmark platform @ OARC

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Fri Apr 13 14:59:20 UTC 2012

Ondřej,

On Friday, 2012-04-13 15:13:05 +0200,
Ondřej Surý <ondrej.sury at nic.cz> wrote:
> We often need to have nice graphs in slides, so we do performance
> benchmarks of our DNS server and others.  The problem is that any
> "statistics" made by vendor can be biased (and the bias doesn't
> have to be intentional, it could be just caused by certain way of
> thinking).

We benchmark against servers that we are able to (meaning "open source
only", since we can't afford proprietary licenses and they probably
come with a "don't publish benchmark" clause anyway).

However, we only publish comparisons with ISC products; if the
comparisons look bad then we have a lot of explaining to do, and if
they look good nobody should believe them anyway. ;)

> So we were thinking that DNS-OARC would be ideal platform to prepare
> methodology for measuring DNS servers performace and it could also do
> the tests as an "independent" laboratory.

Makes sense to me. Hopefully the perceived distance between DNS-OARC
and ISC is enough to make it useful for people evaluating BIND.

> As I know that DNS-OARC lacks resources I propose that we can start
> by preparing some kickstart document and then make this as a
> collaborative effort to prepare methodology which would be objective.

Also makes sense. IMHO  "kickstart" is a brilliant approach in general.

--
Shane