[dns-operations] Update: Problem in Costa Rica 14 Sept.

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Mon Sep 26 16:08:15 UTC 2011

Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer) writes:

> Thanks for the report. The advices I can give (every zone generator
> has to guard itself againt this sort of problems):

    - do verify that the zone passes validation, both syntactically
        and any other constraints such as the presence of an apex
        RRset,

> * check the zone file before reloading the name server: size (should
>   never decrease, or only by a very small amount), amount of changes,

> * add a dummy TXT at the *end* of the zone file: its absence means a
>   problem,

    It goes without saying that the addition of the TXT should take place
    IF the previous points passed succesful testing :)

    Not very useful to produce a zone like this:

    tld.        SOA     ( ... )
                NS      ...
                NS      ...
    <select fails due to changed DB password, timeout because of a new
    ACL, etc..., resulting in empty zone content>

    __EOF__     TXT     "Zone successfully generated at xyz hh:mm"

    :)

	Cheers,
	Phil