[dns-operations] IDNs

Lyman Chapin lyman at INTERISLE.NET
Mon Sep 19 12:09:19 UTC 2011

Hi Kim -

Web font embedding is not a good solution to this problem (Paul
Hoffman has made the same point in this thread), not least because it
cannot guarantee that local browser configurations will not override
the embedded font information. A better (but still not perfect)
solution is PDF/A, which is an archival format standard that focuses
on the reproducibility of electronic documents over time. "A key
element to this reproducibility is the requirement for PDF/A documents
to be 100% self-contained. All of the information necessary for
displaying the document in the same manner every time is embedded in
the file. This includes, but is not limited to, all content (text,
raster images and vector graphics), fonts, and color information. A
PDF/A document is not permitted to be reliant on information from
external sources (e.g. font programs and hyperlinks)." As far as I
know, applications that display PDF/A observe these constraints, and
do not substitute locally-configured alternatives to the information
embedded in the PDF/A file.

In the IDN ccTLD fast track, the Telugu characters in the xn--
fpcrj9c3d example that Ed cited have so far been the most difficult to
display without embedded font information. We resorted (for the first
and only time) to a .png representation of the string (attached) -

- Lyman