[dns-operations] Decent DNS traversal tools

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Fri Sep 16 19:01:49 UTC 2011

Thanks for the responses, there are some useful tools there, but none
are quite what I was looking for.

doc seems to be very detailed and could be useful for doing a complete
check for every edge case if things are behaving strangely, but the
reports are perhaps too detailed for just doing a quick check after
making changes.

DNSCheck I had a quick look at the hosted demo, which gives a "green
light" and says everything is consistent for a test domain that has
every server responding with different answers. It seems to be more of
an error checker rather than a "how is everything responding" checker.

dnstracer I couldn't seem to get to work?

dnswalk seems to be a less detailed version of doc, which does a zone
transfer from 1 server then looks at the response for errors?

I also got an off list message about http://dnsviz.net/ which is still
under construction but sounds interesting to check out progress when I
get around to playing with dnssec, and with the features that are
apparently being worked on could also be useful for other stuff but
it's too early to tell at the moment.

I guess for now my tool works well enough, I was just hoping for
something that did something similar showing the responses, but while
doing more checks to point out things that could be a problem. Perhaps
I'll add it back to the to-do list as a slightly bigger project to
write the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Thanks
- Mike