[dns-operations] DNS software test!

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Fri Sep 16 06:17:35 UTC 2011

延志伟 (yzw_iplab) writes:
> Hi, all,
>
> Client executes the DNS query using ‘queryperf’ under the following four scenarios (where SA and TA denote the Second levelAuthority server andTop levelAuthority server respectively),their QPS results are:
>
> Case1:Recursive(bind)àRoot(bind)àTA(bind)àSA(bind)
>
> As you find, only when the NSD is deployed on the TA, the performance (e.g., QPS) can be promoted significantly. In other words, even when the SA uses the NSD, the QPS is just similar with the case when all the servers use BIND.

	I'm not sure queryperf is meant to be tested in this fashion - you
	have too many factors interacting for one thing, and we don't really
	know the configuration of each of the servers (for example, have you
	turned on early prefetch on about to expire records on unbound, what's
	the query size, what data set are you querying against - live or synthetic
	data, etc..)

	Testing one tool at a time, on a known dataset would be the way to
	go for recursion (unbound, bind) and authoritative (bind, nsd).

	Cheers,
	Phil