[dns-operations] Decent DNS traversal tools

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Thu Sep 15 15:26:16 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any decent tools for checking that
everything is consistent between DNS servers. I found a few web based
traversal tools that will follow the full delegation tree (most just
follow 1 chain), but they have really let me down more recently
because none seem to support IPv6! Also I couldn't find anything open
source I could run myself, to deal with the problem that just as I
seem to find a decent site they go and bring out a "new improved"
version that requires twice the effort to get it to do anything.

A few weeks ago I finally got around to throwing together something
for personal use, which works "well enough" but I would rather find
something that was perhaps a little more compliant than my quick botch
job if possible (like following the delegation chain properly instead
of blindly, following CNAMEs properly, and whatever else I missed -
DNSSEC support+validation would be nice too for when I get around to
playing with that).

https://www.mikejones.in/dns/?hostname=dns-oarc.net&type=ANY

That's what I came up with to show the sort of thing I mean.

Thanks
- Mike