[dns-operations] Anycast DNS servers provided by AT&T?

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed May 25 20:26:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 01:11:20PM -0700, Dixon, Justin wrote:
> > Anyone know if AT&T offers authoritative anycast DNS services, and
> > under what product name?  And anyone have any experience with it?
> >
> > Want to evaluate between using them (an existing bandwidth provider of
> > ours) and something like Amazon's Route 53 (which currently doesn't
> > consume AXFR data I don't believe).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ray
>
> I will tell you from experience that the management functions leave a
> lot to be desired if you are expecting a change to take place at a
> specific time.
>
> The changes made in the web based admin tool are not processed
> immediately, they are held in a queue and batch processed at the top of
> each hour. So if you enter a change in the web based tool at 1105 you
> want until 1200 before the batch cycle begins that will actually
> implement the change you made.
>
> This is noted in the FAQs somewhere IIRC.
>
> For a free service as pat of existing circuit contracts it's not a
> terrible solution, but the offering is limited in the options and
> scheduling areas...Not sure if DNSSEC is being considered now, the last
> time I asked it wasn't.
>
> Thanks...
> Justin

Thanks, Justin.

We're already using an AT&T service that provides secondary/slave DNS
service for us based off of standard AXFR transfers from our master
BIND server.

I was hoping for something with a similar workflow, but the zone
changes would propagate to a global network of DNS servers available
via an anycast IP.

There are probably some other providers out there who do something
similar.  Route 53 is one I mentioned, but they have a custom API and
don't support AXFR directly.

Although, I did just come across this[1].

Thanks again...

Ray

[1] http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~lecter/route53d/