[dns-operations] MX record scanning

Rickard Dahlstrand rickard.dahlstrand at iis.se
Mon May 16 15:54:19 UTC 2011

Hi Jake,

I read up on this last fall (we have seen this for a long time now) and from what I understand these honeytraps feed the spam-spiders with random domains as the traverse the Internet in the search for domain names. So I assume these are generated by the websites and not the spambot itself.

Found something regarding this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_address_harvesting#Anti-harvesting_methods and here http://www.fleiner.com/bots/#trap .

However I agree that is seems strange that they repeats the query, perhaps the use some broken way for spreading the load in the botnet cluster.

Rickard.