[dns-operations] MX record scanning

Jaroslav Benkovský jaroslav.benkovsky at nic.cz
Tue May 10 08:18:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

we have noticed similar traffic on Christmas on all our authoritative
servers - queries per sec going several times our normal load, mostly
for MX, many source addresses. From a sharp start and equally sharp end
it was clearly a botnet or a coordinated effort. Lasted several hours
with some repeats.

Now in the last days we see similar storms, but their falloff is more
gradual, suggesting a different process.

Most of that junk results in NXDomain anyway.

Jarda Benkovsky