[dns-operations] MX record scanning

Carlos Vicente cvicente.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:06:06 UTC 2011

Dear list,

In the last week or so I've noticed a significant increase in queries per
second on one of our authoritative servers, which happens to be secondary
for a number of TLDs. A quick inspection of the traffic patterns seems to
indicate an MX record scanning process with no distinguishable origin (I'm
guessing a bot net). I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this
and if they had any thoughts they'd want to share.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the DSC graph that shows the increase in the
last few days.

Regards,

Carlos Vicente
University of Oregon