[dns-operations] OT: NXDOMAIN / public resolvers and zen.spamhaus.org

Rod Rasmussen rod.rasmussen at internetidentity.com
Mon Mar 28 09:13:20 UTC 2011

This is the text on Spamhaus' site:

"Check what DNS resolvers you are using: If you are using a free "open DNS resolver" service such as Google Public DNS or Level3's public DNS servers to resolve your DNSBL requests, in most cases you will receive a "not listed" (NXDOMAIN) reply from Spamhaus' public DNSBL servers. Please use your own DNS servers when doing DNSBL queries to Spamhaus."

They don't "blame" public DNS resolvers, just tell you that you probably won't get a response.  I'd say "quite dishonest" is overstating their omission of an explanation for why you won't get an answer from their DNSBL when you query it.  It would be nice if they did clarify that though, especially when tying that to their "DNSBL Usage Terms" which explains that they monitor for heavy use and block based on it.

Cheers,

Rod