[dns-operations] OT: NXDOMAIN / public resolvers and zen.spamhaus.org

Rod Rasmussen rod.rasmussen at internetidentity.com
Mon Mar 28 08:03:49 UTC 2011

Actually I think the issue is that Spamhaus purposely does not provide resolution for major public open resolvers.  I can double check with them, but I believe they don't want people (i.e. bad guys) using those resolvers to walk their entire block list, and of course, they have a business model to support, and for major e-mail handlers, they have a fee structure.  If you're using a resolver like Google's, then they can't tell who's really hitting their servers for RBL requests and why.

Cheers,

Rod