[dns-operations] iVenue and CommunityDNS.

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Mar 25 10:56:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 06:12:53PM +0000, Simon Munton wrote:
> In a few cases zone information is gathered from an authoritative
> name server with XFR open. Clearly Nominet are technically capable
> enough to switch this off if they prefer, it is their choice to
> provide public XFR on their top level zone on all its name servers.
> To then subsequently complain that people access it seems, at best,
> a little churlish.

[. . .]

> To clarify, we have never been contacted by anybody at Nominet to
> request that we change in anyway what we have been doing.

If I said, "I downloaded these images of a bank's logo from their
publicly-available website.  I'm passing all the traffic through my
website on to the bank properly, without any molestation.  Nobody told
me I shouldn't, so it's obviously ok," would you agree it was ok?

How about, "I downloaded all these logos from the political party's
publicly-accessible website, and copied the campaign platform directly
from there.  It's true, however, that due to an oversight parts of the
platform are from the previous election.  I regret the error.  I was
only trying to make the party's web presence more robust.  Also, I
help a political party in another country.  So this is obviously ok."?

I'm just trying to understand the point at which you think
representing your servers as speaking for someone else is still ok.