[dns-operations] iVenue and CommunityDNS.

Roy Arends roy at dnss.ec
Thu Mar 24 15:43:51 UTC 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 11:05 PM, David Conrad wrote:

> In the past, CommunityDNS would suck down zones from TLDs unsolicited and start serving them without permission of the TLD admin (I was in one GAC meeting where the folks at Nominet expressed significant unhappiness at this activity wrt to .UK and demanded that CommunityDNS stop).  Not sure if CommunityDNS is still doing this.

Yep, they're still doing this. They are not sucking down the UK zone, but are still serving an old version of our zone, without our permission. The result is that the following top level domain servers are now serving a really old version (2009, pre dnssec, old delegations) of UK: AC AM BE ES EU FI HU IO IT LT LU LV NG PH PL SG SH SI TM UA VN.

Though the root zone does not contain delegations for UK to any of the CommunityDNS servers responsible for the TLD's above, they will get UK traffic, just like we're seeing occasionally unsolicited and accidental traffic for other top level domains.

The difference is, we don't pretend to serve other top level domains, so we don't feed resolvers with false, historic, inaccurate information. So, in a sense, the situation went a bit downhill from there, and there is little we can do.... technically.

Roy Arends
Head of Research
Nominet UK