[dns-operations] IPv6 & IPv4 addresses

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Wed Mar 23 03:28:54 UTC 2011

I know this is so last week, but ,,,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 06:40:40PM -0000, George Barwood wrote:
> > ...and then all we have to do is change (all of) the deployed
> > software to make the problem go away.
>
> Well updating DNS servers is a relatively easy thing to do.
> And it's just a backwards-compatible optimisation.

Last I looked [which was a while ago] the estimated number of BIND 4
servers still deployed had not yet dropped to zero.

Besides, if I understood your proposal correctly, the brunt of the work
would be in the stub resolvers - and to replace them means waiting until
all existing hardware stops working, plus some incalculable delta.  (I
am assuming that there exists a large percentage of hardware on which
this software is never upgraded until it dies - and we have no way of
enumerating which ones are in this set.  If someone can prove me wrong I
will be rather glad of it.  I am also assuming that new hardware is
often deployed with old software just because that's what worked
yesterday.  And I know nobody can prove that wrong.)

--
**