[dns-operations] Anycast vs. unicast NS

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at communitydns.net
Mon Mar 21 14:54:51 UTC 2011

> My reason for distributing authority-only service using anycast is to improve availability. If your reason is to reduce the transaction time for the tiny proportion of queries that land on the authority servers, is that sensible?

There is rarely only one reason to deploy any particular technology, and
availability is a very significant benefit of anycast - however, there
[is / was / has been] also a general perception that the client is
[always / usually] sent to the "network nearest" node, which isn't
[always / usually / probably] the case. That was the point of the
discussion.

Stephane pointed out that sometimes the results (of which node you are
sent to) can be surprising, & I agreed.

However, I would think its pretty clear that sending the client to the
network nearest node would be a "nice to have" feature, and I thought it
would be an interesting topic to discuss.