[dns-operations] Anycast vs. unicast NS

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Thu Mar 17 18:06:58 UTC 2011

I'm pretty sure we have some unicast-free TLDs.
(E.g., dotUS.)  We haven't seen any problems
particular to the anycast v. unicast approach.

Observing a low query count at a server,
regardless of any/unicasting can be the result of
two things.  One is the DNS-layer issue of just
being slow and thus not preferred.  Two is the
network-layer artifact of who sees the route.

With anycast, a server that is advertised to just
a few hosts will see less traffic than a server
(at the same IP address) whose path is advertised
globally.  As far as unicast, it might be that
the servers route is just lost in the clutter.
(I'n not so much a routing person.)