[dns-operations] DNS query logging (TCP to anycast)

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at communitydns.net
Thu Mar 17 12:41:02 UTC 2011

Basically you just hope that you won't get re-directed to a different
anycast node during the TCP session - and mostly this works fine.

As DNS queries are pretty short, even over TCP, this is generally OK -
but if you were going to (say) try and run XFR from an anycast node, you
will be more likely to see issues.

I guess it also may depend on where abouts on the Internet you are and
how "close" you are to the anycast nodes, and how many nodes there are.

Of course, except for XFR, EDNS0 means TCP should (mostly) be unnecessary :)