[dns-operations] Question regarding DNS query logging

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Mon Mar 14 21:47:57 UTC 2011

Michael Skurka wrote:
> Does anyone in a similar sized company have any estimates (a rough
> ballpark is fine) how much data we'd be looking at collecting on a weekly
> or monthly basis?

Well, it kind of depends. I suggest you check how many queries you have
(per second, or per day).
See if your DNS software can expose the number of queries it has done -
that should help you do an estimation based on your actual numbers.

I did a quick guesstimate a couple of weeks ago, assuming a site doing
30.000 qps, that would be 2.592.000.000 per day. The length of a line in a
query log depends on what's being logged. I did a quick test here and
activated query logging for a few seconds - the average line length
including timestamp etc was just over 120 bytes. Your mileage might vary
by a fair bit, but for this example, let's use that number, and we should
end up with 311.040.000.000 bytes of logging each day if I haven't made
any mistakes here.
Hopefully your clients are fairly well behaved and your numbers are a fair
bit lower than this though.

Regards
Eivind Olsen