[dns-operations] Odd queries from win2k3 box with MSDNS and IPv6

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Wed Jun 22 15:31:58 UTC 2011

Hello All,

I asked this question on another list, but got no answer, so I figured
I'd try here.

We're seeing alot of weird A record queries from a MS DNS server on
Win2k3 (yes, I know, it wasn't my choice to run these).  For example,

::1.somedomain.com

(with somedomain.com being our default search domain)

These queries are forwarded from the 2k3 server to our PowerDNS recursor
servers.

Anyone have any kind of insight or idea why this system is sending these
queries?

It will do it with or without IPv6 support enabled on the network
interfaces, and does not appear to be coming from a client device that
uses it for resolving DNS.

Thanks!
--
Brielle Bruns