[dns-operations] Limiting DNSSEC-based amplification attacks (Was: Weird TXT record

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Jun 22 13:54:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:27:12 +0000
"Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> > Then, what do you suggest?
>

> What I already posted - query/response analysis to be used in
> selective filtering/answer poisoning or IDMS.

As long as there is the possibility to overwhelm the link capacity of
the server with well-formed messages, filtering at the receiver edge
will be of limited, if any, help.

Rodney and I co-authored a little known paper entitled "Botnets and
Packet Flooding DDoS Attcks on the Domain Name System" that outlined
a few mitigation strategies that were in common use at the time of
writing.  The strategies discussed include the following:

  * capacity
  * anycast DNS
  * local node distribution
  * victim separation
  * filtering and black holes
  * scrubbers and TCP forcing gear
  * upstream and community cooperation
  * botnet infiltration and mitigation
  * calling the cops

There may be more, but in my experience, a well designed packet
flooding attack should be minimally be met by an equally well designed
anycast implementation and cooperative upstreams.  See the paper for
additional details.

John