[dns-operations] Root server operator contact information

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Jun 21 23:48:40 UTC 2011

On 21 Jun 2011, at 21:14, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Am I missing something, or is it quite difficult to find official
> contact information for the root server operators?  Perhaps IANA could
> publish a web page which lists at least email addresses.

Why? IMO publishing such a list would be a Very Bad Idea. There are
plenty of good reasons why that information should not be published.
[Just like how Chancellor Merkel's and Britney Spears's direct phone
numbers are unlisted.] Not least of these would be the prospect of
inundating the RSOs with spam and all sorts of stupidity from cranks.
Or clueless system/network administrators claiming the interweb is
broken and expecting RSOs to provide free troubleshooting and support
to fix local DNS misconfigurations.

Besides, it's up to each RSO to decide what contact info they make
available.

If someone has a good reason to contact a root server operator, they
will know how to get in touch with them. Or who to ask. If someone
wants to make contact and doesn't know how to do it, they probably
don't have a good reason. :-) BTW a few of the root server operators
have even been known to pop up on this list.