[dns-operations] fewer PTRs plz (Re: reverse DNS for DHCPV6 and PD's)

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Mon Jun 13 22:51:49 UTC 2011

On 13 Jun 2011, at 23:32, Bart Smit wrote:

> On 2011-06-13, at 19:57, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
>> ... that it's time to reconsider PTR as a "business class only" service.
>
> In an earlier mail you mentioned "consumer grade" connections, and now "business class". Is it indeed desirable (useful) to make such a distinction, and, if yes, how do you define these concepts?
>
> Bart

Bart

I obviously can't speak for Paul, but here in Ireland a lot of the ISPs offer different services depending on whether you have a "consumer" line or a "business" one.
So, for example, if you were on a consumer line you might not be permitted to run a mail server, web server etc., while you could on a business one. You'd also get a fixed IP on a business line, but you might not get one with a consumer one.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions