[dns-operations] Monitoring DNS Servers

david klein root at nachtmaus.us
Wed Jun 8 09:40:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz> wrote:
> At 8:31 -0700 6/7/11, Wes Hardaker wrote:
>
>> Unless the service is instrumented with SNMP, which many services are.
>> DNS, however, is not generally one of them.  Though I thought there was
>> a DNS vendor that did provide a private set of their data and made it
>> available over SNMP.  But I don't remember who.
>
> FWIW, the IETF obsoleted the DNS MiBs years ago.
>
> Not commenting on whether SNMP monitoring of DNS was a good idea or not,
> just that the "document action" happened.  RFC 1611, 1612, and 3197.  First
> two in 1994, latter was published in 2001.

Thank you, this is good to know. Are there better recommendations for
monitoring the health of the DNS service, and its underlying
infrastructure?

--

david t. klein

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CSCO11281885)
Linux Professional Institute Certification (LPI000165615)
Redhat Certified Engineer (805009745938860)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?