[dns-operations] Monitoring DNS Servers

david klein root at nachtmaus.us
Tue Jun 7 04:49:19 UTC 2011

I have just inherrited my company's DNS infrastructure, which uses
turn-key BIND-based appliances, with Windows 2008 servers running
Microsoft's DNS service as bind-slave-style backups (the reasons for
this are purely political). The appliances provide a robust monitoring
capability, using SNMP. Does anyone here provide DNS services using
the DNS service in Windows 2008, and if so, how do you monitor it? For
many of the same political reasons, monitoring with MOM/SCOM would not
be an option.  I have considered using System Edge agent and
monitoring in our NMS, though a lower-cost, easier to manage solution
would be preferable. I come from a mostly Cisco and Linux background,
so the idea of a platform not having an SNMP agent is a little
surprising.

Thanks,

 -DTK

--

david t. klein

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CSCO11281885)
Linux Professional Institute Certification (LPI000165615)
Redhat Certified Engineer (805009745938860)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?