[dns-operations] lot's of .local traffic

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Wed Jul 27 21:53:51 UTC 2011

On 27/07/2011, at 5:37 PM, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, George Michaelson wrote:
>
>>> com
>>> net
>>> arpa
>>> local
>>> org
>>
>> Duane, thats critically useful information. If .arpa and .local are that high in the set, then the requests outstanding in dnsops for delegations into AS112 project are really quite justified
>
> +1.  I'd like to see more numbers like these from the root operators to have a peek at thejunk load.  George, is there a link to the IPv6 junk load you see?

I am bedding in a system to produce daily updates including the raw data. I will hold back the unique IPs seen as querier and queried, for obvious reasons.

I will mail the list when I have graphs and data available.

>> (I have a draft awaiting WG adoption for the bogons in ip6.arpa, and William Sotomeyor has one for a number of bogons in in-addr.arpa)
>
> Ehm?  Yes that's correct. I'm about to let loose a newer document that is a direct instruction similar to George's on those remaining IPv4 zones that Mark Andrew's local-zones RFC covers and drops some observational material that will go into a separate doc.
>
> Over on the as112-ops mailing list there's been some flirtation with popping junk TLDs into that draft, but I elected to keep those off for now given the contentious nature of TLDs in general.  The question has however come up before and I think one or two root operators in the past have said they'd like this traffic to be off-loaded.
>
> wfms

I'd be delighted to +1 such a document William, as soon as you post to the dnsops list for WG adoption!

-G