[dns-operations] lot's of .local traffic

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Wed Jul 27 09:39:00 UTC 2011

On 27/07/2011, at 3:03 AM, Wessels, Duane wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2011, at 1:52 PM, Sebastian Castro wrote:
>

>> If you don't want to go to the slide, .local represented 6% of the total
>> traffic seen by the roots. AFAIK nobody has prepared updated figures
>> using 2010 and 2011 DITL collections.
>>

> Sebastian,
>
> I've recently analyzed the 2011 data, but its not published yet.  For .local
> its 5.8% in 2011, so not much change.  However, the overall ranking goes
>
>  com
>  net
>  arpa
>  local
>  org
>
> sigh....
>
> DW

Duane, thats critically useful information. If .arpa and .local are that high in the set, then the requests outstanding in dnsops for delegations into AS112 project are really quite justified

(I have a draft awaiting WG adoption for the bogons in ip6.arpa, and William Sotomeyor has one for a number of bogons in in-addr.arpa)