[dns-operations] Resolver operation an expired domain

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Jan 28 03:43:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 01:55:28PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > > And verisign should know better.  While verisign gets this wrong
> > > how can we expect everyone else to do the right thing?

> Sorry, I mispoke.
>
> 	/Verisign/Network Solutions/

Except that while I can see good reason for considerable chagrin were
Verisign to get such a thing wrong (given their central place in the
DNS operation environment), I don't know what the argument would be
for, "When $random_registrar_and_dns_operator gets this wrong, how can
we expect. . .?"

Network Solutions is not the central-to-the-Internet company it once
was: it's just another registrar and (I guess) DNS operator.  It
competes, like any other company.

One might as well ask how, if American Motors Corp (or, to pick a more
recent example, General Motors) can't get car design right, how likely
is it that anyone will?  As it turns out, the answer is, "Pretty
likely."  I don't think market forces are the answer to everything,
but in a commodity market like domain name registration, those forces
are bound to be reasonably effective. (But only, of course, if we're
careful in naming who has messed up.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.