[dns-operations] Resolver operation an expired domain

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Wed Jan 26 16:37:39 UTC 2011

Our main domain, mtcnet.net, inadvertently expired this morning with Network
Solutions and was assigned NS entries of ns1.pendingrenewaldeletion.com and
ns2.pendingrenewaldeletion.com.  We have clients with their own domains and
two of their three NS entries point to ns1.mtcnet.net and ns2.mtcnet.net;
the third is ns1.netins.net.

The mtcnet.net domain is renewed now, but we're still working through the
fallout.

The question is: if a resolver outside our network would encounter a client
domain name (e.g. mypremieronline.com) with NS entries that themselves
respond with "no answer", do they try successive NS entries until they find
one that works?  i.e. resolver queries the root for mypremieronline.com,
gets the three NS entries previously mentioned, of which two don't resolve
themselves.  From our customers' calls, it appears that generally does not
happen.

If the resolver would happen to query one of the working NS records,
ns1.netins.net, everything would resolve just fine, of course.

Frank