[dns-operations] To A or to AAAA - was Re: Signaling client

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jan 19 13:45:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011, Mark Andrews wrote:

> getaddrinfo() isn't the problem.  The problems happen after getaddrinfo.

Yes, you are right in principle.

I mentioned getaddrinfo itself because it also needs to be hardened
against IPv6-related failures, specifically timeouts in AAAA lookups when
A lookups succeed. If you can overlap the execution of getaddrinfo and the
subsequent connect()s then you can connect to an IPv4 address
quickly even if IPv6 is subject to either DNS or network level breakage or
slowness.

> I have slow start example code for all three of these methods which just
> replaces the loop over the results of getaddrinfo().

Sounds nice! Is it published anywhere?

Tony.
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,
DECREASING 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 LATER IN HUMBER AND THAMES. MODERATE OR
ROUGH. RAIN THEN FAIR. GOOD.