[dns-operations] Signaling client protocol to authority

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Mon Jan 17 06:31:29 UTC 2011

> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:33:50 -0800
> From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
>
> this was the argument in 1995 and see where ignoring transition has
> gotten us today.

the things we should have done when we had 16 years before ipv4 depletion
may not be as instructive when we have 2 months before ipv4 depletion.

> you will retire before the need to reach v4-only sites is gone.  i am
> no more pleased by this than you.  i just see the world as a bit less
> black and white / good and evil.

when microsoft discovered the internet it was about 20 years old and
they decided that the installed base wasn't important and focused only
on growth.  their crap looked irrelevant to me but look where we are?

let's focus on growth, including letting the clients figure out what
the right thing to do is when they receive an AAAA they can't use.