[dns-operations] Signaling client protocol to authority

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Jan 16 19:10:58 UTC 2011

On 16 Jan 2011, at 13:09, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> Are there any ideas or efforts for a recursive NS to signal the
> authoritative NS whether the client used v4 or v6 to request the
> record?

Some DNS people consider this concept an Evil and/or Stupid DNS Trick
and a very bad idea.

> We already have a suggestion to signal the client IP address,

I thought/hoped the authors of that withdrew the I-D?

> signaling the protocol the client used seems even easier.  So it
> shouldn't be too difficult. Right?

Just because something isn't "too difficult" doesn't make it worth
implementing. Or useful. Or even a good idea. IMO there are
essentially three reasons why it's a bad (and pointless) idea to tell
authoritative servers if the end client used IPv6 for its query or not.

First, what is the authoritative server expected to do with that
information and how would this be implemented and deployed in the
installed base? What about backwards compatibility? You seem to be
hinting you'd like authoritative servers to hand out different answers
depending on whether this hypothetical flag is set or not. That'll
surely end in tears.

Second, just because an end client uses IPv6 to make a query it
doesn't follow that the application which initiated the lookup is only
interested in IPv6 data or prefers IPv6-specific answers. This also
holds for IPv4 data and queries over IPv4. See Section 1.2 of RFC4472.

Third, there can be more than just a single recursive resolver in the
path between the edge client and the authoritative server. [Think
forwarding servers, load balancers, DNS relays or proxies in CPE, etc,
etc.] Given past and current examples of erratic EDNS0 support in some
of this deployed crippleware, it's unlikely these things can be made
to honour the settings of this v6 bit. In fact they may well interfere
with it. So the info that ends up at the authoritative server isn't
necessarily what the edge client sent. It's likely legacy firmware
will throw away queries (or responses) with this bit set because it
does not recognise them as valid DNS packets. These issues will of
course get worse the longer the resolving chain is because of the
extra opportunities to introduce something broken into the lookup path.