[dns-operations] dnsexperiment.net

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Jan 12 18:49:58 UTC 2011

Don't suppose someone knows who is behind this or wants to claim it
publicly or privately?

I recently saw some rd=0 A queries from 69.167.186.58 (no in-addr.arpa
entry) of the form:

   A.B.C.D.probe.lab.dnsexperiment.net

where A.B.C.D. is the IP address of the host being probed.

The domain name is hidden behind a whois privacy service.  The source
of the query is apparently being hosted by Liquid Web.

Looks like someone over on bind-users asked about it as well and I've
seen those sorts of queries last Fall as well:

  <https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2010-October/081537.html>

This looks like something David Dagon or his colleagues may have been
doing.  I'm not complaining, just curious.

John