[dns-operations] New subscribers

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Jan 11 11:47:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 09:37:47AM -0600, John Kristoff wrote:
> > It's almost cerrtainly a attempted DNS amplification attack.  The
> I suspect in this particular case it was no an amplification attack,
> because it was aimed at one or more resolvers that will not answer at
> all.  At best they would refused response.  I suspect it was some sort
> of exploratory scanning, just not sure who was doing or why.  Sometimes
> folks come forward, sometimes not.  :-)

A big resolver operator reported 5000 incoming ISC.ORG/ANY queries/second on
his very much production servers.  Goes a bit beyond exploratory scanning.

Oddly enough, this attack did take down some resolvers (but not PowerDNS, in
this case). The reason is unknown, the query was being cached effectively.

	Bert