[dns-operations] online version checks

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jan 3 18:12:37 UTC 2011

On Dec 31, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> From: David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org>
>> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:38:58 -1000
>>
>> RFC 4892, section 2.
>
> i didn't cite that and i should have, sorry.
>
> however, this is a statement of requirements and is not a standard, and
> only mentions ID, not VERSION or UPGRADE.

As someone who tilted at a version of this windmill in the past, I'd be supportive.  However, the criticisms of what became 4892 still hold -- e.g., the lack of a way to ensure two queries go to the same place in an anycast cloud can lead to degenerate cases that may distress some folks.  I'd also guess that attempting to define a TLD will run into the "who can define a TLD" molasses...

Regards,
-drc