[dns-operations] EDNS issue

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Feb 25 22:32:43 UTC 2011

In message <311A73CB2084450AA03DA889D693DD01 at local>, "George Barwood" writes:

> [...]

radar.weather.gov has a 5 second ttl and edge-ext.lb.noaa.gov has
a 30 second ttl so every thirty seconds named does a double fallback
and that takes too long for some clients.

We keep telling people that they need to support EDNS up to 4096
bytes over UDP.  Sometimes they only fix part the problem when there
are multiple things to fix (allowing bigger packets *and* allowing
fragments).

While the oarc test is useful it really isn't the best tool to check
if you have a good EDNS path.  It was designed to discover what the
path supports not to say if it is good.  It also is not IP version
specific.

What is needed is test queries (IPv4 and IPv6) that will only succeed
if the UDP path is good for 4096 byte EDNS.

	dig @server1 ipv4-testname txt
	dig @server1 ipv6-testname txt

and do that for each of the servers listed in resolv.conf

Mark

[drugs:~] marka% dig radar.weather.gov cname

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0-APPLE-P2 <<>> radar.weather.gov cname
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;radar.weather.gov.		IN	CNAME

;; ANSWER SECTION:
radar.weather.gov.	5	IN	CNAME	edge-ext.lb.noaa.gov.

;; Query time: 1029 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Feb 26 09:11:56 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 66

[drugs:~] marka%

[drugs:~] marka% dig edge-ext.lb.noaa.gov

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0-APPLE-P2 <<>> edge-ext.lb.noaa.gov
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;edge-ext.lb.noaa.gov.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
edge-ext.lb.noaa.gov.	30	IN	A	140.90.200.22
edge-ext.lb.noaa.gov.	30	IN	A	140.172.17.22
edge-ext.lb.noaa.gov.	30	IN	A	129.15.96.22

;; Query time: 1299 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Feb 26 09:17:35 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 86