[dns-operations] Who Ignores TTLs ?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Feb 22 00:29:09 UTC 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

>> From: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de>
>> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:36:11 +0100
>>
>>> we're getting redirected every day, that's true.  whether it helps
>>> enough to justify what people have to pay (in non-cash) and decide to
>>> pay (in cash) is what would help define "misdirected" in this context.
>>
>> GSLB enables Debian to accept mirror donations from networks which
>> have weak spots.  I think this is a good thing.
>
> i think you could get that benefit at the http layer, and that doing it
> in dns isn't nec'ily called for by this particular application.

Yes, but this would require at least one more http round trip, yes? Not (necessarily) an issue for something like a mirror, but for folk who have lots of short lived connections this adds up *real* quick. It also requires a single (or small number) of central locations that need to a: be really really reliable and b: able to perform a huge number of redirects, doesn't it?