[dns-operations] Planned IN-ADDR.ARPA Nameserver Change

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Feb 18 23:49:01 UTC 2011

In message <A50D0A1F-6AA5-400A-94BB-789CF9058053 at icann.org>, Joe Abley writes:

> On 2011-02-18, at 08:49, Joe Abley wrote:
>
> > On 2011-02-18, at 08:40, Chris Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> But today we seem to have reverted to the [12-out-of-13].ROOT-SERVERS.NET
> >> nameservers and an unsigned version of the zone :-(
> >
> > We are aware, and are investigating.
>
> The previous setup for IN-ADDR.ARPA was as follows:
>
>   VeriSign -> *.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
>      ^
>    ARIN
>
> The transitional setup for IN-ADDR.ARPA is as follows. This configuration was
>  brought live on Wednesday this week:
>
>   ICANN -> *.IN-ADDR-SERVERS.ARPA
>  VeriSign -> *.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
>
> The zone served by *.IN-ADDR-SERVERS.ARPA was correct at all times. However,
> it appears that due to an operational hiccup, the following configuration exi
> sted for a window long enough for a new zone to be received from ARIN and be
> published to the root servers:
>
>   ICANN -> *.IN-ADDR-SERVERS.ARPA
>  VeriSign -> *.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
>     ^
>    ARIN

Which shouldn't have been a problem if arin was being fed by icann
which is how it should have been done to safely move to a new primary
master.  You always make the old master a slave for the new master.
Doing so prevents these sort of issues.  Unfortunately many people
forget this step or don't think it is necessary.