[dns-operations] Who Ignores TTLs ?

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Fri Feb 18 23:35:52 UTC 2011

> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:43:16 -0500
> From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at tux.org>
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:25:08PM -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> > Or, to turn the question on its head, if GSLB through DNS didn't
> > work, most of the traffic on the Internet would be misdirected.

that rather begs the definition of "misdirected".

> > So those who say it does not work are confused - they're using it
> > every day.

we're getting redirected every day, that's true.  whether it helps
enough to justify what people have to pay (in non-cash) and decide to
pay (in cash) is what would help define "misdirected" in this context.

> Just googled GSLB.  The top two responses [in order] were:
>
> - Why DNS Based Global Server Load Balancing (GSLB) Doesn't Work
>
> - How GSLB Works » Netscaler - Citrix Community
>
> Granted that the first was old and crusty, but this is probably why
> there are still disagreements out there.

if akamai makes it opt-in i'll try using all of their clients without
any stupid dns tricks involved, and i promise to report my results.