[dns-operations] Fwd: Introductions - iVenue and CommunityDNS.

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Feb 18 23:05:57 UTC 2011

In the past, CommunityDNS would suck down zones from TLDs unsolicited and start serving them without permission of the TLD admin (I was in one GAC meeting where the folks at Nominet expressed significant unhappiness at this activity wrt to .UK and demanded that CommunityDNS stop).  Not sure if CommunityDNS is still doing this.

And then there was the time that CommunityDNS started announcing the old "L" root IP address and responded to root queries at that address (under some sort of agreement with Bill Manning/EP.Net, LLC).  That "amusing" episode was discussed at http://blog.icann.org/2008/05/ghosts-of-root-servers-past/...

Regards,
-drc