[dns-operations] DNS APIs, was Who Ignores TTLs ?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Thu Feb 17 22:37:11 UTC 2011

On 2011/02/17, at 15:53, Shane Kerr wrote:

> Is it possible that DNS-OARC is a reasonable forum to design a set of
> DNS APIs that suck less?

If dns{ext,op} have said they don't want to take it on (honestly, neither one seems quite appropriate to me either), and there doesn't seem to be traction for creating another wg to cover it, then I think DNS-OARC is an entirely appropriate place to try to organize that work.

I've seen several discussions over the last few years covering good ideas for things that should be worked into the APIs (including recent discussions here about v6/v4 failover, presenting DNSSEC validation info to the client application, etc.).  I'm sure we've got lots of good requirements information for a starting point.