[dns-operations] DNAME interoperability

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Dec 2 13:48:14 UTC 2011

In message <1322824806.22324.8.camel at localhost>, Graeme Fowler writes:
> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 10:53 +0000, John Horne wrote:
> > Interesting because our 2003 SP2 servers show no sign of supporting the
> > DNAME record. (Accessing the DNS on the server and selecting 'other DNS
> > records' shows things like MINFO, HINFO, RP etc, but no DNAME).
>
> That's the hotfix which prevents MS DNS from bleating into the log when
> encountering a DNAME record, as far as I can tell. The hotfix
> description doesn't imply that DNAME becomes supported after
> installation.

It does more than just stop the bleating.

The hotfix that is contained in KB920162 will change the behavior
of Windows Server 2003. The DNS server will accept packets that
contain a DNAME resource record. Then the DNS server will forward
the related CNAME record to the client if the forwarder's answer
contains a CNAME record. The KB920162 hotfix will not add full DNAME
support to Windows Server 2003 as specified in Request for Comments
(RFC) 2672.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC