[dns-operations] [16-31].172.in-addr.arpa and 168.192.in-addr.arpa no longer delegated

Mark Kosters markk at arin.net
Wed Apr 13 15:14:38 UTC 2011

On 4/13/11 9:54 AM, "Paul Hoffman" <phoffman at proper.com> wrote:

>>> Well, that seems to have done the trick! Good to know that speaking
>>>softly
>>> was enough and you didn't have to wield the big stick ...
>>
>> It would be cool if ARIN published an incident report (a la AFNIC's
>>excellent IRs).  Apologies if they have already done so and I missed
>>it...
>
>+1 (which I delayed because I just assumed ARIN would do this, but maybe
>they are waiting for more +1s...)

Hi

Here is one that I'm working on (not quite official) - the official one
will be on arin-announce.

On March 19, ARIN performed a fork-lift upgrade on its database and
provisioning system. The first set of zone files generated and published
on March 20 at approximately 2:00AM EST omitted placing name servers on a
number of non-customer maintainable zones (169.254/16, 172.16/12, and
192.168/16). While the nameservers continued to display in ARIN's Whois
service, the zone file generation software was written such that
non-maintainable zones weren't actually written to the zone files. ARIN
was notified of this omission in the evening of April 9 and was fixed the
zone release on April 10. The zone release on April 10  was visible at
approximately 10:00PM EDT. We apologize of any inconvience that this may
have caused.

Mark Kosters
ARIN CTO