[dns-operations] DNS prefetching, DLV and cheap NAT router state table overflow

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Wed Sep 22 05:59:23 UTC 2010

Yes.

This happens on dynalink 1320 class home ADSL/Nat boxes.

safari and the newer chrome prefetch flooded DNS.

installing a local unbound with cached state limited this.

A typical scenario is:
	2 mac users
	each has a 'open 10 panes' command eg tabset
	each then forces
		10 panes of DNS
			sub-DNS for ads, popups, other content
	20-30+ simultaneous DNS emit through the NATbox
	FAIL

-George