[dns-operations] resolv.conf and resolving IPv6-only domains/NSes

Frank Bulk - iName.com frnkblk at iname.com
Wed Nov 3 15:59:34 UTC 2010

While turning up a test DHCPv6 server, I tested my basic IPv6 connectivity.
There's one domain that I know of, onlyv6.com, that only has IPv6 DNS server
and IPv6 glue records.  It's a good test of how well IPv6-based DNS
resolution is working.

The server, a Debian 5.06 box, has no DNS server installed so it depends on
resolv.conf.  I noticed that if an external IPv6 DNS server was not first in
the resolv.conf, that "dig AAAA onlyv6.com" would consistently fail, while
if the IPv6 DNS entry was first, it would consistently resolve.

When I run "dig AAAA onlyv6.com" against the first IPv4 DNS server, I get a
SERVFAIL.

It seems like host resolution using resolv.conf starts from the top of
resolv.conf going on down, and if there's a SERVFAIL on the first, it
doesn't go to the second entry.

Can someone else test and see if this WAD or something else?

Frank

Working:
	domain mtcnet.net
	search mtcnet.net