[dns-operations] Missing .us and GTLD records??

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun May 23 22:46:01 UTC 2010

In message <4BF8789A.5030502 at dougbarton.us>, Doug Barton writes:
> On 5/20/2010 11:07 PM, bert hubert wrote:
> >
> > It might be a grand idea to automatically switch on IPv6 for outgoing
> > queries if root-priming succeeds over V6.
> >
> > And perhaps switch IPv6 off again if none of the roots is reachable over
> > IPv6.
> >
> > Or perhaps I'm inventing the wheel here ;-)
> >
> > Would this make sense (operationally?).
>
> I would not want to see this happen automatically, no. And that's not an anti
> -IPv6 bias, that's a "don't do ANYTHING that changes the operational configur
> ation of the name server automatically" bias.
>
> OTOH, what WOULD be useful (and in fact I with BIND did this too) is if the s
> erver thinks it SHOULD have v6 connectivity, but it doesn't, it should issue
> a loud, and perhaps even repeated warning in the logs, preferably with a sugg
> estion for a remediation strategy.
>
> For example, the default FreeBSD kernel comes with IPv6 networking bits compi
> led in, although the default configuration (interfaces, routing, etc.) has it
>  disabled. For some of our users they have problems with named trying IPv6, t
> iming out, then moving to IPv4. What we suggest to them is to add the -4 opti
> on to named's flags, but that usually only happens after drama + sending ques
> tions to mailing lists, etc.

Which really hasn't been a problem in years.

>From BIND 9.2.5

1773.   [bug]           Fast retry on host / net unreachable. [RT #13153]

-rw-r--r--  1 marka  wheel    41393 Mar 10  2005 9.2.5
-rw-r--r--  1 marka  wheel  4504389 Mar 10  2005 bind-9.2.5.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 marka  wheel      186 Mar 10  2005 bind-9.2.5.tar.gz.asc