[dns-operations] Missing .us and GTLD records??

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat May 22 20:48:37 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 06:07:43PM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> IPv6 connectivity to route away from that, too (or don't bother about
> the traffic levels).  So IPv6 has actually lower latency.
>
> But in the majority of cases, it's going to be way slower, and often

This puts IPv6 on equal footing with IPv4 - quite often one of the available
IPv4 addresses is going to be 100ms slower than the others.

This is why I feel it is best to treat IPv6 as an absolutely equal citizen
as soon as it is known that working IPv6 is available.

For DNS, we have the luxury that we can easily detect if IPv6 is working
(ie, if we can do an IPv6 root prime). A browser is in a tougher position to
figure this out.

For now, I'm not going to add IPv6 autodetection, but this is mostly because
of other priorities. Like fixing up the NSEC3 corner cases in PowerDNSSEC
;-)

	Bert