[dns-operations] Windows 2003 DNS server's IPv6 support

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sat May 22 03:08:30 UTC 2010

>From my initial testing it looks like Windows 2003's DNS server listens on
an IPv6 address, but won't initiate requests to the root servers (iterative
requests) via IPv6.  When I did a v6 dig from a *nix box while doing a
packet capture on the Windows 2003 server, I saw the IPv6 UDP request for
onlyv6.com, but the DNS server's queries to the root server for the NS
records and all subsequent queries were on v4.  The result was "no servers
could be reached".

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?  Is that resolved in Windows 2008?

Frank